Today we have Tyler Whipple from American Family Insurance with us. Tyler is the Vice President of Inclusive Excellence at American Family Insurance. He’s responsible for leading the company’s efforts to develop and implement strategies to advance inclusive excellence as a core value, resulting in a strong culture and great business results across the American Family enterprise.
Tyler and I first connected because I was really curious about his role and what he was doing, particularly because American Family Insurance is showing up in the news all the time for doing amazing things in our community and pushing for this idea of being equitable. In our conversation, he shares his experience with building a team for a large enterprise, how to get started, and his mindset of a million, plus one.
Topics in this episode
- Initiatives required in order to fulfill the objects of DEI work, and executing on those initiatives
- The process of identifying opportunities for improvement internally, and implementing strategies
- Finding solutions that have a mutual-win result
- Tips for approaching initial conversations in regards to areas of opportunity
- Cultural intelligence in the workplace
- In the times of COVID especially, what can we learn so that we can be better on the other side of this?
- Importance of clarity on your mission and what you’re trying to achieve
I want to say thank you so much to Tyler for sharing some of his wisdom today. It was such a delight to hear about the work that American Family Insurance is doing and how open he is with the learning that he and his team is doing. The community they are helping to build is quite amazing